Watching adults sometimes makes me sad. Manners used to be important, but they seem a little scarce these days. The most painful thing to see? Negativity and intolerance! People often respond to a conversation with a negative comment as an attempt to be accepted. You’re an adult, so act like one. Come on, let’s be real.
Here are some observations that can help us be more tolerant.
- People typically like people who are nice.
- If you have not experienced something, don’t speak poorly of it. Especially to someone who has expressed interest or enjoyment in it.
- Negativity often appears rude and close minded.
- Negativity is considered to be bad manners and our everyday manners shape how people view us.
- As a role model, being negative sets a poor example to anyone watching. People will say “I don’t want to be a role model” but you don’t get to choose who looks up to you.
Life happens though, we have to roll with it. If someone offends you or is close minded don’t take it personally. Other people should not have a negative effect on you. Who knows, maybe your positivity will even rub off on them!